Thursday, March 28, 2013

Healthier mashed "potatoes"

So today we have this shitty, grey, foggy weather that's not meshing with my ideal spring. And as much as I wanted to chow down on some raw veggies, I was craving something more comforting. But I've been eating fried potatoes for a week now, and decided to give potatoes a rest. This is where my cauliflower comes in, or in Russian "white cabbage". And of course what is mashed foods without gravy.

Ingredients:
-1 head of cauliflower
-1/2 cup boiled mushrooms (I defrosted the ones I keep in the freezer)
-2 tablespoons raw seed cheese
-1 cup soaked pumpkin seeds for 48 hours
-1 cup soaked sesame seeds for 48 hours

-1-3 tablespoons coconut milk
-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
-paprika

1. Cut stems off cauliflower and steam over boiling water till soft (I did about 7 minutes)
2. To make seed cheese blend seeds together using a vitamix or food processor
3. Blend 2 tablespoons seed cheese, mushrooms, and coconut milk (adding more for a thinner consistency) to make gravy.
4. Blend hot steamed cauliflower with nutritional yeast and paprika till smooth.
5. Add gravy on top of cauliflower mash, and serve by itself, with garnish, or as a side to grilled corn, tofurkey, or whatever your stomach desires.

Enjoy it in your mouth!








No comments:

Post a Comment