Thursday, May 30, 2013

Scrambled tofu


As an insomniac that has a plethora of reasons to not be asleep (ahem...internet) I tend to remember that I need to indulge in food as soon as I see the sun rising and shining through my window, and the demon birds squawk even louder. And for those of you that follow me on instagram (jenya_bunney), you'll notice that I tend to work out. And I work out at least five days a week. Those workouts make me hungry.

I wanted something super quick and easy to whip up, and on the rare occasion that I bought tofu yesterday I decided to make my favorite tofu dish thus far-my scrambled tofu that I substitute for scrambled eggs. I also had some pre boiled potatoes from a previous meal, so I used those, added some avocado and BAM! I inhaled it faster than a vacuum. I really should learn to chew. But on with the show!


Ingredients:
-8 ounces firm tofu
-2 medium boiled potatoes
-1-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
-1/4 of an avocado
-Grapeseed oil
-salt/pepper to taste
-*optional* ketchup, salsa, hot sauce, vegenaise, tofu/tempeh/coconut bacon.


1. Heat a small pan on medium heat on stove. Spray grapeseed oil (I use the mistro oil sprayer instead of using PAM) coating the pan.
2. While the pan is heating, squeeze out excess water in tofu by wrapping it in a microfiber towel tightly and applying pressure.
3. Crumble tofu with your hands into the pan, stir and break up large chunks using wooden spoon. After 5 minutes, add in desired amount of nutritional yeast (*optional* tablespoon of vegenaise) and plate.

4. Cube potatoes and throw in a heated pan (that has also been sprayed with grapeseed oil. Brown potatoes and plate.

5. Salt and pepper potatoes to taste, slice avocado, add on optional ketchup, salsa, hot sauce, or vegan bacon.

Enjoy it in your mouth!



No comments:

Post a Comment